In June 2016, the Glen Ellyn-Wheaton Chorale performed a concert tour in Spain and France, singing seven concerts. Three of these were formal concerts performed in conjunction with local singing groups in Limoux, Sarlat-le-Canéda, and Le Bouscat, France. These longer concerts presented sections by each choral group, then completed with combined singing.
We had the additional opportunity to sing one song in the subterranean monolithic church in Saint Emilion. This church is carved out from one huge rock, and is large enough to easily hold several hundred people.
A welcome dinner was given in Barcelona, Spain, as well as a roof-top tapas gathering following the Barcelona concert. A farewell dinner was given in Bordeaux, France. Receptions followed concerts in Sarlat-le-Canéda and Le Bouscat. One guide handled our entire tour while local guides were added in each major tour area that were most familiar with those local features and details.
Concerts were given at the following locations:
- Barcelona, Spain at the Auditori Sant Marti
- Barcelona, Spain at the Sagrada Familia crypt chapel
- Montserrat, Spain at the Montserrat Basilica
- Limoux, France at an afternoon outdoor concert, and in the evening at Saint Martin Church of Limoux in joint concert with the Chorale Populaire de Limoux
- Carcassonne, France at the Basilica of St. Nazaire in the walled cité
- Sarlat-le-Canéda, France for a joint performance with the Ensemble Chorale de Sarlat at the Sarlat Cathedral (and reception)
- Saint Emilion, France for a tour and song in the ancient subterranean monolithic church
- Le Bouscat, France (sister city to Glen Ellyn with the Le Bouscat International Association) for a joint performance at the Sainte Clotilde Church with the Pizzicati Choir (and reception)
Additional points of interest:
- Parc Guell, Barcelona, Spain
- Palau Musica de la Catalana, Barcelona, Spain
- Collioure, France seaside village
- Dordogne River cruise at La Roque-Gageac, France
- Winery tour near Saint Emilion, France
- Arcachon Dune du Pilat, near Arcachon, France
- Bordeaux, France
Several friends of the Chorale were added to the group to fill out our ranks and meet the minimum size needed for an efficient tour. We hope you enjoy these pictures that capture the Chorale's thrill in sharing our music with like-minded groups in Europe!
See additional information about this 2016 Spain & France GEWC Tour.